CTC Day 2 Update – Hawks win!

Hawks captain Alec Scouras celebrates his goal in the second period of Delta’s 7-4 win over the Oceanside Generals on Friday afternoon in Revelstoke.



After an out-of-character game on Thursday, the Ice Hawks turned things around on Friday afternoon, defeating the VIJHL Champion Oceanside Generals 7-4.

The game started close, with just one goal scored in the first 26:50, but then both teams started to find the back of the net, with 10 more goals scored before the buzzer sounded.

The lone goal of the first period belonged to the Ice Hawks. Carson Merriman followed up on a puck in the slot and slid it five-hole on Generals goalie Carter Johnson to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.

Delta came alive in the second period, scoring three goals in the period. The puck was sent down the ice and popped out to Alec Scouras near the goal line. He went five-hole on Ashton Sadauskas to make it a two-goal lead.

Past the halfway mark of the period, Henry Smith and Alex Lucchesi skated into the Generals’ zone, and Smith centred the puck to Lucchesi, which went off of Lucchesi’s leg and into the back of the net.

Oceanside got one back, with Ethan Hawes sending a shot on net from the point, taking advantage of a screen, to get his team on the board.

But the Hawks were able to restore their three-goal lead before the end of the frame, with Colin Jang tapping a pass to Brayden Sinclair, who then made a deke move around Sadauskas for an easy goal.

Oceanside came out firing to open the third period, with Tyler Gyori and Dante Paziuk (PP) each scoring a goal 70 seconds apart, making it 4-3 Delta less than six minutes into the final frame.

The Hawks bounced back though, with a power play goal from Carson Hemenway, who let go of a writer from the point to make it 5-3, with a little help from a Caelan Mander screen.

Payton Hu made it 6-3 by being in the right spot at the right time, when a shot went high off the glass behind the net and bounced back right to him in the slot for a quick one-timer.

The Gens got one more goal in the game, Paziuk getting his second of the game at the 10-minute mark of the third to make it 6-4.

Both teams continued to fight hard, but Delta was able to seal the win when Sinclair banged home another shot off the glass behind the net from a weird angle to finish the scoring at 7-4 for the home Hawks.

The Hawks have the late game tomorrow, taking on the host Revelstoke Grizzlies at 7pm back at the Forum.