December 20 Game Recap

Hawks captain Alec Scouras had two goals, including a game-tying goal, in the Hawks’ eventual 6-5 loss to the Flames on Tuesday night.



It was quite the back-and-forth battle between the Ridge Meadows Flames and Delta Ice Hawks on Tuesday night, with the Flames coming out on top 6-5 in the high-scoring affair.

The Flames burst out to a hot start, with Theo Kochan notching four goals within the first 16 minutes of the game to get his team out to a 4-0 lead early. Zach Shaughnessy came into the game for Merik Erickson following the fourth goal.

Delta didn’t let that stand too long, though, as they came back with two before the end of the first twenty minutes, first taking advantage of a late power play. Alec Scouras looked to shoot, but instead dropped a pass for Carson Hemenway, who unleashed a howitzer from the left point to get the Hawks on the board.

About a minute and a half later, the Hawks had possession in the Flames’ end and Austin Kofler dove for the puck to get it to Caelan Mander on the right wing. Mander saw Danylo Bereza sneaking in back door and sent a pass through the slot right onto his stick for an easy tap in.

The second period started well for the Hawks, with another power play goal bringing them within one. After some cycling, Scouras had the puck on the left side and sent the puck toward the net. His shot deflected off a Ridge defender and went five-hole on Adam Winters.

Five and a half minutes later, the Hawks had a good bounce off the linesman, as Scouras went to pass up to Caelan Mander. Mander grabbed the puck and dished to a flying Payton Hu in the middle, who scored top shelf to tie the game 4-4.

That lasted for two minutes, as Markus Jack was able to give the visiting Flames the lead back just before the halfway mark of the period.

The Hawks just would not go away though, as Brayden Sinclair broke out with line mates Hu and Scouras. Sinclair went up to Hu on the right side, who then threaded a pass through multiple skaters to Scouras on the far side, and he went bar down to tie the game 5-5 going into the third period.

The lone goal of the final frame turned out to be the winner, and it came from the Flames’ David Stepputat on a shot from the point early in the period.