February 22 Game Recap – Hawks win!

The Hawks celebrate following Dalton MacGillivray’s overtime winner in Game 4 on Tuesday night, knotting the first-round series up 2-2.


In a thrilling matchup on Tuesday night, the Hawks took home a 4-3 victory in Game 4, coming from behind to defeat the Richmond Sockeyes in overtime to tie the series up 2-2.

Goaltender Merik Erickson entered the game early in the second period in relief and stopped all 19 shots he faced, leading the Hawks to a much-needed win in the series.

Richmond opened the scoring less than a minute in, the only goal in the first period. Rocco La Cara was able to walk into open space in the left circle and he fired high glove past Braedy Euerby on Richmond’s first shot of the game.

The Ice Hawks evened the score just as quickly in the second period, taking advantage of a power play. Alec Scouras had control at the top of the zone. He went point to point with Carson Hemenway, who sent it down to Dalton MacGillivray at the right faceoff marker. MacGillivray walked in and beat Marcus Cumberworth high-blocker for his first goal of the playoffs.

Less than a minute later though, the Sockeyes took the lead back. Garrett Wicks went cross-ice to La Cara, who whiffed on the shot, but was able to get enough on it to put it past a sweeping Euerby.

Tanner Milne doubled the lead, taking a pass from Tyus Gent and throwing a shot on net to make it 3-1 Richmond.

Kyle Robinson scored the first of three unanswered goals for Delta not long after. Conner Merriman beat everyone to a loose puck to keep the Hawks in the Sockeyes’ zone, passing it down to Henry Smith. Smith backhanded it to Robinson out front and he was able to squeak it past Cumberworth to bring the Hawks within one.

Merriman was also involved in Delta’s third goal, this one in the third period. He stole the puck from Richmond’s defender in the corner and passed to Dominic Passalacqua-Main to his left, out front of the goal. Passalacqua-Main then deked out Cumberworth, sending a backhanded shot over his shoulder to tie the game at three.

Sixty minutes was not enough in this one, as the game went to overtime. Both teams took a penalty in the extra frame, and the Ice Hawks were the ones who capitalized. The Hawks went around the horn from Scouras to Hemenway, Hemenway one-timed a pass over to MacGillivray, and he one-timed it home past Cumberworth to even the series.